ATLANTA — Georgia authorities warn iPhone customers of a brand new function on the newest Apple replace that shares private data.
Apple’s new iOS 17.1 replace comes with the “NameDrop” function, which permits customers to rapidly share contact data with a close-by iPhone and Apple Watch.
Whereas the function can solely work with telephones which can be shut collectively, police stated this will trigger customers to share their data with a stranger by accident.
Corelia police stated the function will routinely activate when customers obtain the replace.
Authorities advise that if you happen to or your little one has a tool with this enabled, it’s attainable for a stranger to get the contact data from that system.
- Do one of many following:
- Share from iPhone to iPhone or Apple Watch: Maintain the show of your iPhone a number of centimeters from the highest of the opposite particular person’s iPhone or Apple Watch.
- Share from Apple Watch to a different Apple Watch: Open the “Contacts” app in your Apple Watch, faucet your image within the top-right nook, faucet Share, then carry your watch near the opposite particular person’s Apple Watch.
- Proceed holding your gadgets close to one another till “NameDrop” seems on each screens.
- Select to share your contact card and obtain the opposite particular person’s or solely to obtain the opposite particular person’s. To cancel, transfer the 2 gadgets away from one another or lock your iPhone earlier than the NameDrop switch is full.
[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]
- Go to Settings
- Faucet “Common”
- Faucet “AirDrop”
- Toggle “Bringing Units Collectively” to off
[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]
IN OTHER NEWS:
©2023 Cox Media Group