The Realme C55 is a nice update over the entry-level Realme C33. It offers a higher-resolution display, faster hardware, improved cameras, and much faster 33W wired charging.
The Realme C smartphones have become popular for their feature-rich package on a budget, and the Realme C55 is yet another tempting offer. It offers a large 6.72-inch LCD screen with extended 1080p resolution and a 90Hz refresh rate. It runs on top of the Helio G88 chipset, and the base configuration now starts with 4GB RAM and 64GB storage, expandable, of course.
The cameras have been upgraded on both sides. There is a dual camera on the back with a 64MP primary and a 2MP depth sensor, while the selfie camera is now 8MP with 1080p capturing, up from 5MP and 720p videos.
One of the most interesting updates is the charging speed for the 5,000mAh battery. Realme has implemented its 33W SuperVOOC charging, a first for the C series, and a massive improvement over the previous 10W charging inside the Realme C33.
Finally, another curious thing available as part of the Android 13/Realme UI 4 combination on the Realme C55 is the Mini Capsule experimental feature, which is an Apple’s Dynamic Island copycat. Basically, this is an animation that shows battery status and data usage in an expandable black blot around the selfie camera.
Realme C55 specs at a glance:
- Body: 165.6×75.9×7.9mm, 190g; Glass front, plastic frame, plastic back.
- Display: 6.72″ IPS LCD, 90Hz, 680 nits (peak), 1080x2400px resolution, 20:9 aspect ratio, 392ppi.
- Chipset: Mediatek Helio G88 (12nm): Octa-core (2×2.0 GHz Cortex-A75 & 6×1.8 GHz Cortex-A55); Mali-G52 MC2.
- Memory: 64GB 4GB RAM, 64GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM; microSDXC (dedicated slot).
- OS/Software: Android 13, Realme UI 4.0.
- Rear camera: Wide (main): 64 MP, 1/2″, PDAF; Depth: 2 MP.
- Front camera: 8 MP, (wide).
- Video capture: Rear camera: [email protected]/60fps; Front camera: [email protected].
- Battery: 5000mAh; 33W wired, 50% in 29 min (advertised).
- Misc: Fingerprint reader (side-mounted); 3.5mm jack.
We are glad that Realme has used such a fast-charging solution, and the charger comes bundled with the phone. In fact, the only thing we consider missing on such an entry-level smartphone is some sort of splash resistance or water-repelling coating. But few, if any, phones in this price bracket offer such protection, so we won’t be holding this against the Realme C55.
Unboxing the Realme C55
The Realme C55 ships in a typical yellow paper box. Inside you will find the phone itself, the 33W SuperVOOC charger, and a USB-C-to-A cable needed for the charging to work.
There is more, of course. You will also find a soft and transparent protective case inside the box. A further inspection reveals that the phone has a pre-applied protective film on its display. It is a giant fingerprint magnet, sure, but it does help against scratches.