Remember the funky LG Wing? We sure do. It’s an incredibly interesting device that came out in 2020 towards the very tail end of the company’s involvement in the smartphone business. It was the first and sadly only device in a new “Explorer series,” which LG intended to use as a soul-searching platform to try bold new ideas as a last-ditch effort to revitalize its mobile business. Well, we all know how that, unfortunately, turned out and that only makes the LG Wing that more interesting of a device.
An Android 13 OTA has started seeding for the phone in its home Korean market and will spread abroad soon as well. Besides the jump to Android 13, the update package also brings the following changes, as per LG’s Korean changelog:
- Device control shortcut icons can be displayed on the lock screen.
- Added preview, sharing, and text editing functions for copied text or images.
- You can check and stop apps that are currently active in the status notification window.
- The multi-window function has been simplified.
- The functions of the music and video controllers displayed in the status notification window have been improved.
- Added notification permission setting function for each app.
This will likely be the final major update for the LG Wing, which originally launched with Android 10. Back in 2019 and 2020, LG promised three major updates on select models, like the LG Velvet and LG V60, which have already received Android 13 OTAs. The Wing is on the same list.
If you don’t quite remember the LG Wing or are only now learning about its existence, we encourage you to go back to our full review of what is now a piece of smartphone history. With its secondary rectangular screen and swiveling main display, the Wing was unique for its multitasking capabilities. But beyond that, it also offered amazing video capture with advanced gimbal functionality.
Source (in Korean) | Via