Introduction and specs
With the 4G version of the most affordable Redmi Note 12 this year out of the way, it’s time to take time to know the 5G alteration as well. The thing is, the Redmi Note 12 4G and Note 12 5G employ different hardware so the user experience might vary quite a bit. It’s not just the 5G part.
The most obvious difference is in the chipsets. The 4G has a Snapdragon 685 on board, while the 5G option has a Snapdragon 4 Gen 1 SoC. And contrary to our expectations, the latter seems to be more powerful in every aspect. And it better be, because the original, 5G-capable Redmi Note 12 asks almost €100 more.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 12 specs at a glance:
- Body: 165.9×76.2×8.0mm, 188g; Gorilla Glass 3 front, plastic back and frame; IP53, dust and splash resistant.
- Display: 6.67″ AMOLED, 120Hz, 1200 nits (peak), 1080x2400px resolution, 20:9 aspect ratio, 395ppi.
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM4375 Snapdragon 4 Gen 1 (6 nm): Octa-core (2×2.0 GHz Cortex-A78 & 6×1.8 GHz Cortex-A55); Adreno 619.
- Memory: 128GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 6GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM; UFS 2.2; microSDXC (uses shared SIM slot).
- OS/Software: Android 12, MIUI 14 (International), MIUI 13 (India).
- Rear camera: Wide (main): 48 MP, f/1.8, PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 8 MP, f/2.2, 120˚, 1/4″, 1.12µm; Macro: 2 MP, f/2.4.
- Front camera: 13 MP, f/2.5, (wide), 1/3.0″.
- Video capture: Rear camera: 1080p@30fps; Front camera: 1080p@30fps.
- Battery: 5000mAh; 33W wired, 50% in 22 min (advertised).
- Misc: Fingerprint reader (side-mounted); Infrared port; 3.5mm jack.
The 5G iteration also has a 48MP main camera instead of 50MP, offering 128GB of base storage. Otherwise, it shares with the 4G model the same 120Hz OLED panel, the fast 33W charging, the 5,000 mAh battery and doesn’t skip on triple combo – FM radio, dedicated microSD card slot and 3.5mm audio jack – sought-after features in the midrange.
We go further down the rabbit hole in the next pages, so we suggest you continue reading to find out how the supposedly more efficient Snapdragon 4 Gen 1 chipset fares against the Snapdragon 685 performance- and endurance-wise.
Unboxing the Xiaomi Redmi Note 12
The device comes in a standard retail box containing all the usual user manuals, a USB-A to USB-C cable for charging and data transfer, as well as the appropriate 33W charging brick.
There’s also a bonus transparent, silicone case in the box to get you started.